Failure Mode Effect Analysis
The FMEA analysis is a brainstorming technique in which a system, machine, device or system is divided into separate elements. For each element it is determined how it can fail, what the causes and effects are and how bad the consequences are. Furthermore the prevention / correction actions are identified.
- Good identification method for systems / devices.
- Less structured than HAZOP for process plants.
- Detailed inventory of what can go wrong and what the consequences are.
- Any scaling of the risk (criticality).
- Perform as multidisciplinary brainstorming session.
- Formulate actions, if necessary appoint action takers.
- If necessary, appoint Coordinator to oversee and monitoring the agreed actions (possibly using Action & Response Sheets).