A HIPPS is a High-integrity pressure protection system. This is an independent instrumental protection that prevents overpressure in a system. Often a HIPPS must meet the requirements of SIL 2 or SIL 3.
- Identification of safeguard. It is wise to make a schematic drawing with all the relevant sensors, components and final elements.
- Verifying the functionality of the safeguard.
- Determine whether the safeguard is separated from the system.
- Check against the architectural requirements (eg is one valve sufficient?).
- Check to the probabilistic requirements (calculation of probability of failure on demand).
- Check for systematic faults.
It is highly recommended to make taylor-made test procedures during design phase.
Consiltant BV carries out many HIPPS design verifications for Mokveld, among others.